THE DANGERS OF CARBON MONOXIDE
Known as “the silent killer,” Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless gas that often goes undetected, striking victims off guard or in their sleep. Inhaling just small amounts of CO over a long period, can cause permanent damage to the brain, lung and heart. Moderate levels of CO exposure can cause burning eyes, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, severe headaches, breathing difficulties and confusion. These symptoms are easily mistaken for other common illnesses, like food poisoning or the flu.
If carbon monoxide begins to fill a home while people are sleeping, the exposure can be fatal before anyone realises something is wrong. Infants, the elderly and people with respiratory and circulatory illnesses are at an increased risk of fatal CO poisoning. You can reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning by keeping your fuel-burning appliances well maintained and using combustible fuels only in well ventilated areas. Another important step is installing a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Read more about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
LIFESAVER® CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS
PSA LIFESAVER carbon monoxide alarms are market leaders, offering a 7-year sensor life and providing 40% longer protection than many of the other CO alarms on the market. It also comes with a 5-year warranty and BSI standards approved to EN50291.