Western Australia Smoke Alarm Legislation
In Western Australia, you are required by law to install hard wired smoke alarms that comply with the AS3786:2014 Australian standard, if your home:
- Was built after the 1st of July 1997
- Underwent significant renovations since the 1st of July 1997
- Had a transfer of ownership since the 1st of October 2009 or;
- Has been available for rent or hire since the 1st of October 2009
The smoke alarms must:
- Be positioned in accordance with the Building Code of Australia
- Be interconnected (so that when one sounds, they all sound) if built after the 1st of May 2015.
You may use battery-powered smoke alarms if:
- There is no mains power connected to the property or,
- There is no cavity in the roof where the alarm is to be mounted for electrical cabling to be installed, for example: concrete ceilings.
- The smoke alarm has a 10-year life battery.
However, if your property is a multi-story where you may use a battery-powered alarm on the ground floor, you must still use a main-powered alarm if there is a roof cavity to support the connection.
Wireless interconnecting smoke alarms are generally recommended for battery-powered smoke alarms to allow Interconnection between other battery-powered and hardwired smoke alarms.
Information is correct as of January 2024. Details may change without notice. Please refer to the specific State websites for any changes.
Follow this link for more information on the Western Australia Smoke Alarm Legislation:
Battery Powered Smoke Alarms
The following alarms can be used in properties that require a smoke alarm but don’t have mains connected or don’t have a roof cavity to support mains connection.
Wireless Solutions for Smoke Alarms
In older properties where interconnection is required but wired interconnection cannot be achieved, the following smoke alarms and accessories may be considered.
Wireless controllers for wireless smoke alarms
Other Safety Options
For more information about what smoke alarms you will need for your property, speak with your electrician or enter your details and one of our team will contact you.